2. How do I sign my e-file return?
If you are e-filing your City of Detroit return with your federal and State return, Michigan accepts the federal signature.
If you are e-filing your City of Detroit return separately from your federal or state return you must sign your return by:
- Completing Form MI-8453, Michigan Individual Income Tax Declaration. If you choose to complete Form MI-8453, a copy should be retained for six years. Do not mail Form MI-8453 to Treasury, or
- Provide the Electronic Signature Alternative (ESA). The ESA’s shared secrets are from your return as originally filed, an amended return, or the return as corrected by Treasury. Shared secrets consist of your:
- Social Security Number(s)
- Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or total household resources from the previous year’s return; and
- Tax due or refund amount from the previous year’s return.