The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Child Identity Theft FAQ
What should I do if my child has become a victim of identity theft?
- Contact the three major credit reporting bureaus:
- Equifax at 1-800-525-6285 or www.equifax.com
- Experian at 1-888-397-3742 or www.experian.com
- TransUnion at 1-800-680-7289 or www.transunion.com.
- Place a fraud alert on your child’s credit report.
- Visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website at www.ftc.gov to report identity theft/fraud or call the toll-free hotline at 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338) to speak with consumer counselors for assistance.
- Contact every business with whom your child’s information was misused. Ask each business to close the fraudulent account and flag it to show it resulted from identity theft.