Skip to main content

Employment Identity Theft FAQ

What should I do if I believe I am a victim of employment identity theft?

Contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 to correct any errors on your earnings record. Also contact the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338), the Internal Revenue Service’s Identity Protection Unit at 1-800-908-4490, and notify the credit bureaus.


What should I do if I discover income was reported to a governmental agency under my name and Social Security number from a company from which I did not receive wages or other compensation?

Respond to any notice you receive and dispute the error. Additional steps may be required, depending on the agency to which the income was reported. Refer to the Guide to Employment-Related Identity Theft on the Internal Revenue Service website for additional guidance. 

Visit the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) web site to see a list of all the employers that checked DHS records using E-Verify. This may assist you in determining if additional employment-related identity theft has occurred or is currently taking place.


What should I do if someone has used my personal information to collect fraudulent Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) benefits?

Contact the UIA fraud hotline immediately at 1-855-UI-CRIME (1-855-842-7463) or report fraud to UIA online at Review the UIA Fact Sheet #166 for additional information.