Skip to main content

Social Security Identity Theft FAQ

What should I do if I believe my Social Security number (SSN) has been stolen or misused?

If you think someone is using your Social Security,

  • Review your Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.
  • Review your Social Security earnings record for accuracy.
  • Visit the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at to report identity theft and get a recovery plan.
  • Contact the Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490.
  • Order a free credit report (verify how this may affect your credit score).
  • File a police report.

Note: The Social Security Administration can only resolve Social Security number reporting problems on their own records.


What should I do if I think my name and/or Social Security number is being used to obtain a fake driver’s license?

The Michigan Department of State (MDOS) Office of Investigative Services (OIS) is committed to protecting the integrity of all MDOS programs and documents issued by the agency.  

If you witness, suspect or know of fraudulent, improper or suspicious activity involving any MDOS documents or programs, please contact the OIS immediately at:


FRAUD TIP LINE:  844-372-8356

When you contact OIS, provide as much detail as possible. Include your contact information as an investigator may need to contact you for additional information. All reports will be kept confidential.