Skip to main content

Synthetic Identity Theft FAQ

What should I do if an identity thief has falsified change-of-address forms and committed mail fraud in order to get my personal information?

  • Contact the United States Postal Inspectors at 1-877-876-2455  
  • Contact your local police.
  • Visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website at to report identity theft/fraud or call the toll-free hotline at 1-877-ID-THEFT (1-877-438-4338) to speak with consumer counselors for assistance.
  • Contact the three major credit reporting bureaus: 
  • Equifax at 1-800-525-6285 or
  • Experian at 1-888-397-3742 or
  • TransUnion at 1-800-680-7289 or
  • Make sure you contact all financial institutions with which you have accounts to report fraud. 

What should I do if I find inaccurate information on my credit report?

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), both the credit reporting agency and the creditor are responsible for correcting inaccurate or incomplete information in your report. To take advantage of all your rights under this law, contact the credit reporting agency and the creditor.

Inform the credit reporting agency, in writing, with the following information:

  • Include copies (NOT originals) of documents that support your position.
  • Provide your complete name, including previous names, and address.
  • State the facts and explain why you are disputing the information, and request that it be removed or corrected.
  • Enclose a copy of your credit report with the items in question circled.
  • Send your letter by certified mail, “return receipt requested,” so you can document that the credit reporting agency received it.
  • Keep copies of your dispute letter and enclosures.