Skip to main content

Do I need to include my spouse's income in total household resources if we only lived together part of the year?

Yes, you can use Form 2105, Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credits for Separated or Divorced Taxpayers, to help you prorate the share of taxes or rent used to complete the homestead property tax credit.  You must include a completed Form 5049, Worksheet for Married, Filing Separately and Divorced or Separated Claimants. Spouses that wish to claim their half of the joint property tax credit can each file a copy of a joint Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim MI-1040CR and claim only half of the credit on the bottom line.