Skip to main content

How do I compute my homestead property tax credit if I got married during the year?

If you married during the tax year and are filing a Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim MI-1040CR, combine each spouse's share of taxes or rent for the time they lived in separate homesteads.

You can use Form 2105, Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credits for Separated or Divorced Taxpayers, to help you prorate the share of taxes used to complete the homestead property tax credit.

You must include a completed Form 5049, Worksheet for Married, Filing Separately and Divorced or Separated Claimants.