Skip to main content

If I bought a house and moved from a rented home, what portion of the taxes levied may I claim?

If you purchased your home, complete part 3 of the MI-1040CR to determine the taxes that can be claimed for credit.  Use the taxes levied in the year of the claim. Prorate the taxes based on the number of days you owned and occupied the home as your principal residence.

For rent paid, you must prorate based on the number of days of occupancy.

Note: The number of days used to prorate your credit may not exceed 365.