Skip to main content

If I purchased and/or sold a home during the year, what portion of the taxes levied may I claim?

If you purchased or sold your home, complete Part 3 of the MI-1040CR to determine the taxes that can be claimed for credit. Use the taxes levied in the year of the claim. Prorate the taxes based on the number of days you owned and occupied each home as your principal residence. The number of days used to prorate your credit may not exceed 365.

Note: If you sold a home, you must include the capital gain from the sale of your home in total household resources even if the capital gain is not included in adjusted gross income.