The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Who qualifies for a homestead property tax credit?
You may qualify for a homestead property tax credit if all of the following apply:
- Your homestead is in Michigan.
- You were a resident of Michigan for at least six months during the year.
- You own or are contracted to pay rent and occupy a Michigan homestead on which property taxes were levied.
- If you own your home, your taxable value is $143,000 or less.
- Your total household resources are $63,000 or less. Part-year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if the credit reduction applies.
- Your total household resources do not consist solely of payments received from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Note: You may be required to submit documentation to support your claim. See Homeowners or Renters Checklist