Skip to main content

What if I have a filing requirement with Michigan, received a letter, and have not filed my return?

  1. Respond to the letter indicating that you have not filed your return. Include a copy of the letter.
  2. You must file a paper return. 

  3. Mail refund, credit, or zero due returns to:
    Michigan Department of Treasury
    Lansing, MI 48956

    If you owe tax, mail your return and payment to:
    Michigan Department of Treasury
    Lansing, MI 48929

    Also include the following:

    • A statement indicating what occurred (include Internal Revenue Service ID Theft Affidavit Form 14039  if applicable) 
    • Copy of your driver’s license/government issued picture ID
    • Copy of your Social Security card
    • Copy of your federal return with schedules
    • Copy of your lease or homestead property tax bill (if filing a Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim, MI-1040CR)
    • Copy of your heat bill (if filing a Michigan Home Heating Credit Claim,  MI-1040CR-7)
    • Copy of your W-2 and/or 1099 forms on 8 ½ x 11 paper (This step is important due to the way mail is processed)

Once your information is received, we will place an informational “stop” on your account to prevent refunds from being issued on fraudulently filed returns. Verification of your identity will be required before processing future returns.