Skip to main content

21. Can enrolled members of a federally recognized tribe without a State/Tribal Tax Agreement claim an Indian exemption on their Michigan income tax return?

Yes, but only if they reside within their tribe's Indian Country (as defined in 18 USC 1151) and the income is earned within their tribe's Indian Country. They cannot claim the exemptions that are provided under the Tax Agreement.