Skip to main content

How do I begin a case?

The Tribunal's Rules of Practice and Procedure provide detailed instructions about filing a petition in the Entire Tribunal and the Small Claims Division.

In the Entire Tribunal, a case begins by filing an Entire Tribunal petition. There are no petition forms in the Entire Tribunal but the Tribunal has created sample petitions to assist you. In the Small Claims Division, a case begins by filing a Small Claims petition form with the Tribunal. The Entire Tribunal petitions and Small Claims petition forms can be sent to the Tribunal at P.O. Box 30232, Lansing, Michigan 48909. To help ensure that you have met all the requirements of our Rules, the Tribunal recommends that you attach copies of the final notices of assessment being appealed (for non-property tax appeals) or copies of the Assessment Change Notice and the most recent winter and summer Property Tax Bills for each parcel of property under appeal (for property tax appeals). The Tribunal will consider these documents with your petition and will use them to supplement the information provided in your petition.

Cases can also begin in either division by using eFiling. Please visit the eFiling FAQs, for more information on how to electronically file your appeal.

The Tribunal will docket your petition upon receipt and send a Notice of Docket Number to you. You can check the status of your appeal by using the Tribunal's Online Docket Search on the Tribunal's Website.