Skip to main content

How do I begin my case?

A case begins by filing a petition with the Tribunal. The Tribunal's Rules of Practice and Procedure provide detailed instructions about filing an appeal. To guarantee that you have met all the requirements of our Rules, the Tribunal recommends that you attach copies of the final notices of assessment being appealed (for non-property tax appeals) or copies of the Assessment Change Notice and the most recent winter and summer Property Tax Bills for each parcel of property under appeal (for property tax appeals). The Tribunal will consider these documents with your petition and will use them to supplement the information provided in your petition.

In a Small Claims tax matter a party is required to file a petition. You can check whether your petition has been received by using the Tribunal's Online Docket Card Look-up.