Welcome to the Talent Investment Agency (TIA)
TIA is the agency that combines Michigan Unemployment Insurance and Workforce Development, and is responsible for their activities. Businesses need a talented workforce. Workers need the right skills to compete for available jobs. TIA programs are focused on job preparedness, career-based education, worker training, employment assistance and unemployment insurance.
TIA Migrant Service Workers Make a Difference in Farmworkers Lives
Paula Hayward and Sandy Jimenez joined TIA’s staff just a couple months ago, both as Migrant Service Workers (MSWs), and they are already making a difference in the lives of the migrant and seasonal farmworkers they serve.
TIA’s MSWs don’t have 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. office jobs. They, instead, visit migrant and seasonal farmworkers in the evening, after they have ended their work day on the farms. The MSWs provide registration services to the workers such as helping them prepare a resume; registering them in OSMIS; providing information about the various agencies that provide support services such as education, health and medical, daycare, employment service complaint system and farmworker rights. They also do onsite referrals to support service organizations.
In mid-June, Hayward and Jimenez picked up donated supplies for the workers from Holy Family Health Services of Hartford, MI, who donated Powerade, and Love, Inc., who donated clothing and shoes. They delivered those donated items to workers at two different farms in Benton Harbor, MI – Andres Brothers Farms and Piggott LH & Girls Farms. All totaled on this trip, they were able to deliver outreach services to 25 migrant and seasonal farmworkers.
“The farmworkers were very welcoming,” Jimenez said. “This is what I love about my job – being able to give back!”
Additionally, as they were leaving Benton Harbor, they came across some temporary agricultural workers who were thinning peaches, so they stopped, spoke with the workers, and gave them some Powerade.
“I am so pleased and excited about the outcome of our outreach,” Hayward said. “It makes me very happy to know that the work I do is helping people.”
Request a TIA Speaker
The Talent Investment Agency supports business growth and a diverse skilled workforce through strategic partnerships by ensuring that citizens are well-informed of the impact of our programs and services. To facilitate that mission, our Communications Office provides face-to-face interaction with organizations that want to learn more about the programs and services of this agency.
Speakers Available for:
Workshops | Staff Trainings | Events
Special Engagements | Program Information
Jobs in Michigan
- Pure Michigan Talent Connect
Pure Michigan Talent Connect is your launch pad for new jobs, careers and talent. It is an online marketplace connecting Michigan's job seekers and employers, and serves as a central hub linking all public and private stakeholders who support Michigan's workforce. Pure Michigan Talent Connect serves as the state's labor exchange system.
- Workforce Development Agency The Workforce Development Agency (WDA) promotes a flexible, innovative, and effective workforce system within the State of Michigan. To accomplish this, the WDA supports a demand driven workforce system, assists the structurally unemployed with financial independence, advocates for the integration of workforce development into the K-12 school system, and supports the alignment of workforce development with economic development efforts.
- Unemployment Insurance Agency UIA The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) operates Michigan's unemployment insurance program which collects unemployment taxes from employers and provides temporary income for workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own. UIA offers online services to customers through the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM).
- TIA-UI Moves in With Michigan Works!
Marquette Unemployment Insurance office to be co-located with UPWARD Talent Council
- Credential Engine Partners with Kansas, Michigan, and Ohio Credential Transparency
- Two Guilty of Identity Theft
Florida residents caught after stealing unemployment benefits