Healthcare provider Toolkit
This page provides a toolkit and resources for healthcare providers using the Michigan Quality Improvement Consortium's (MQIC) Guideline, "Prevention of Pregnancy in Adolescents 12-17 Years." Providers not using the guideline will also find valuable information and resources on adolescent sexual health.
- What are the key elements to successfully counseling adolescents?
- When working with adolescents, what are the most important things I must do to establish trust?
- What is the "menu of options" available to teens for preventing pregnancy?
- What tools and resources are available to me when counseling adolescents on sexual health?
- What does the latest data and research tell me about adolescents?
- If I want more information, where do I go?
Framework for Counseling
Understanding adolescents is the first step in providing effective sexual health counseling and education. Setting up your environment to be youth friendly takes thoughtful preparation and sets the tone for your visit.
- Adolescent Sexual Development
- The Adolescent Brain: A Work in Progress
- Setting up an Adolescent Friendly Environment
- I'm Willing to Talk About...
How to Establish Trust
Open dialogue, body language and non-judgmental counseling are key to providing effective health counseling and education to adolescents.
- Do's and Don'ts When Talking to Youth About Sexual Health
- Motivational Interviewing Techniques
- Worksheet For Change
- Taking a Youth-Centered Sexual History
Options for Preventing Pregnancy
Adolescents need a "menu of options" when considering which safer sex behaviors may work for them and documentation of their plans and sexual history is important.
- Sexual Health Counseling Tool
- Birth Control Options
- Emergency Contraception
- Medicaid Access to Condoms Pocket Card
Practical Tools and Resources
Many questions and issues arise when counseling adolescents on sexual health. These documents will help you prepare for some of the most common.
- Michigan's HIV Laws
- STI Screening Recommendations
- Michigan's Safe Delivery of Newborns Fact Sheet
- Michigan's Minor Consent Laws
Data and Research
Data and research are power when advocating for changes in policies, systems and protocols within your organization to enhance the services provided to adolescents.
- State of Adolescent Sexual Health in Michigan
- Michigan's YRBS Sexual Behavior Fact Sheet
- Michigan Teens, Sexual Health Statistics
- By the Numbers: The Public Costs of Teen Childbearing (Michigan)
- Kiss and Tell: What Teens Say About Love, Trust and Other Relationship Stuff
- With One Voice 2007: America's Adults and Teens Sound Off About Teen Pregnancy
For more information on the topics above visit these websites. See the "resources/websites" tab for additional websites.
- American School Health Association
- Child Trends
- Michigan Department of Community Health - Health Statistics
- National Adolescent Health Information Center
- National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy
- The Responsibilities of Parenting - R U Ready? A Young Adult Teaching Packet