The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Detroit FRC City Meeting Minutes October 31 2022
Detroit Financial Review Commission
CITY REGULAR MEETING
Monday, October 31, 2022, at 1:00 p.m.
Remotely Using Microsoft Teams
Approved: November 14, 2022
- Call to Order
- Chairperson, Rachael Eubanks called the meeting to order 1:03 p.m.
- Roll Call
- Let the record show that six (6) commission members eligible to vote were present. A quorum was present.
- Approval of the Proposed Minutes from the September 19, 2022, Regular City Meeting
- Motion made by commissioner Nicholson and seconded by commissioner Rising, to approve the draft minutes of the commission’s city meeting as presented. Motion moved and supported; the commission approved the minutes of the above city meeting as presented.
- Executive Director’s Report
- Patrick Dostine, Executive Director, informed the meeting that in reviewing the city’s monthly report ending August 31, 2022, the city continues to remain in compliance with all statute related to the city’s waiver status and there is no reason to consider rescinding the waiver at this time. Mr. Dostine informed the meeting of the proposed contracts that Detroit City Council is considering at their Nov 2 meeting between the city and the Detroit Police Officers Association and Detroit Police Lieutenants and Sergeants Association.
- He stated that there is a combined annualized incremental cost of both contracts of nearly $40 million in FY 23 growing to $87 million in the 5th year. He said the OCFO’s budget office performed a fiscal impact report, as required, on the proposed contracts and concluded there is no net effect on the general fund.
- Resources have been budgeted and offsets identified to cover the increases in expenditures resulting from the two new contracts, should city council approve them. Mr. Dostine also updated commissioners about the PFRS funding policy case in the bankruptcy court. The city has filed a motion requesting the court allow the city to file its response to PFRS which exceeds the seven-page limit set by the court. The city’s response is 22 pages. Lastly, Mr. Dostine informed the commission that the Nov. 14 meeting will have the FRC’s 2023 meeting dates on its agenda for commissioners to review and approve.
- Old Business
- New Business
- Public Comment
- Michelle George
- Next Meeting Date
- City Regular Meeting: Monday, November 14, 2022, at 1:00 p.m., using Microsoft Teams.
- Motion made by Commissioner Rose and supported by Commissioner Nicholson to adjourn. The commission approved the motion to adjourn.
- There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 1:10 p.m.
Members Present – 7
- Dr. J. Barnwell
- Rachael Eubanks
- David Nicholson
- Jay Rising
- Ron Rose
- Jeremy Vidito (non-voting)
- John Walsh
Members Absent –3
- Chris Harkins
- Angelique Peterson-Mayberry(non-voting)
- Mary Sheffield