The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Public Act 166 of 2020 Sec. 949q.
(1) From the funds appropriated in part 1 for school support staff COVID-19 grants, there is allocated for 2020-2021 only an amount not to exceed $20,000,000.00 for grants to eligible K-12 school support staff to recognize the additional time spent outside of normal working hours, hazardous conditions, and additional costs school support staff have incurred or experienced to provide services to students during the period of school closure in 2019-2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
(2) The department shall distribute funding allocated under this section directly to eligible school support staff in an equal amount up to $250.00 per FTE school support staff employed by the district or assigned to regularly and continuously work under contract in a public school operated by the district. An eligible school support staff that works full time and is calculated as 1.0 FTE will receive $250.00 and an eligible school support staff whose work time is calculated as less than 1.0 FTE shall receive that portion of the FTE applied to $250.00. The department must distribute funding allocated under this subsection as soon as is feasible.
(3) A school support staff eligible for funding under this section must meet both of the following: (a) Prior to the issuance of Executive Order No. 2020-35, the school support staff performed at least 75% of their workload in a brick and mortar school building at a district. 113 (b) The school support staff certifies to the district, in a manner prescribed by the department, that he or she worked additional time spent outside of normal working hours, experienced hazardous conditions, or incurred additional costs related to providing student services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
(4) Districts shall provide to the department of treasury a list of eligible school support staff including their residency address on file.
(5) Districts shall maintain documentation of staff eligibility under subsection (3).
(6) If funds allocated under this section are insufficient to award the amount in subsection (2) to each of the eligible school support staff, the department shall reduce the grant on an equal per full-time and part-time prorated equated school support staff basis.
(7) The department may retain up to 1/2 of 1% of the total funding under this section for administration of this section.
(8) As used in this section: (a) “District” means a local school district as that term is defined in section 6 of the revised school code, 1976 PA 451, MCL 380.6, or a public school academy as that term is defined in section 5 of the revised school code, 1976 PA 451, MCL 380.5. (b) “Regularly and continuously work under contract” means that term as defined in section 1230e of the revised school code, 1976 PA 451, MCL 380.1230e. (c) “School support staff” means a full-time or part-time paraprofessional, aide, or noninstructional staff, according to the registry of educational personnel, who provided services to students during the 2019-2020 period of school closure that resulted from COVID-19. For the purposes of this section, school support staff does not include substitute teachers or classroom teachers.