Who is MARVIN?
MARVIN got his name from the acronym for the Michigan's Automated Response Voice Interactive Network, a system that allows you to communicate with the UIA's computer by using a touch-tone or a push-button telephone with a tone/pulse switch (the switch must be set at "Tone"). Rotary or pulse telephones cannot interact with MARVIN. MARVIN uses digitized human speech to provide you with step-by-step instructions and information regarding your claim. MARVIN's statewide toll-free number is 1-866-638-3993.
- MARVIN frees our staff to provide other services.
- MARVIN works every holiday.
- MARVIN can handle more than 800 phone calls at the same time.
- MARVIN gives fast, accurate and timely information.
- If needed information is not available to him, MARVIN refers you to someone who can help.
To Use MARVIN
To use MARVIN all you need is:
- access to a touch-tone or tone/pulse telephone
- your Social Security Number
- your Personal Identification Number (PIN)
MARVIN allows you to:
- phone-in your continued weeks of unemployment
- ask for information about your benefit payment; such as the date your last payment was made and the amount
Using MARVIN to phone-in your continued weeks of unemployment is mandatory. Contact UIA at 1-866-500-0017 if for some reason you are unable to use MARVIN, or if:
- you are in a training program approved by UIA
- you are claiming a flexible week
- you are self-employed and submitting a profit and loss statement
- you are not able to use MARVIN, for whatever reason.
Before calling MARVIN's statewide toll-free number 1-866-638-3993, there are a few things you need to do:
- Read the entire unemployment insurance information booklet you received by mail before you phone-in your biweekly claim. Have your responses ready to enter.
- Select your four digit Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- Know the week ending dates for the weeks you are claiming. You must use Saturday's date for the week ending date.
- If during your call to MARVIN there is background noise (a loud radio, television, or talking), static on the line, or if you're using a cellular phone and have a bad connection, you may need to hang up and call back on a touch-tone or tone/pulse telephone. These sounds may interfere with your communicating with MARVIN