MI School Data
The site offers multiple levels and views for statewide, intermediate school district, district, school, and college level information. Data are presented in graphs, charts, trend lines and downloadable spreadsheets to support meaningful evaluation and decision making.
- How to Navigate MI School Data. The fundamentals in four easy steps.
- How-Tos & News. MI School Data's companion website with tools, tips and news you can use.
- Updates and announcements. Sign up to receive notification of new reports, data refreshes, and other news.
- Secure Login Authorizer for K-12 Personnel. Contact your ISD technical or curriculum advisor.
- Secure Login Authorizer for College & University Personnel. Contact your College or University Keyholder.
- Secure Login Authorizer for State of Michigan Personnel. Contact CEPI.
- Authorized Presenters/Trainers. A list of our train-the-trainer participants who can provide MI School Data training to a variety of audiences in your region.
MI School Data is flexible and simple to use. It offers handy dashboards with key education metrics, or you can build your own reports to answer questions like:
- How do my school's 3rd grade reading scores compare to overall state scores?
- Are our high school graduates prepared for college?
- Which educational programs and policies make a difference in student success?
- Is my school on sound financial footing?
- Do our community college students do well after transferring to a 4-year college?
Data are collected using unique identification coding that enables more useful analysis than aggregate counts, while protecting student privacy. The site uses security protocols and cell suppression, meaning that if report settings result in very small or large numbers that could identify an individual, the data are not displayed. Schools and colleges can grant secure rights to employees who need access to more reports and more detailed reports to tailor instruction and/or evaluate programs. (For more details, see How CEPI Protects Education Data).
- MI School Data is a product of Michigan's Statewide Longitudinal Data System (MSLDS). This system lets us connect data in powerful ways: grade to grade, school to school, level to level. It lets us connect seemingly disparate data like school finance, test scores, teacher preparation, gender and race, courses and grades, graduation rates, college enrollment, school lunch eligibility, career and tech programs, special education and gifted programs. These connections span from early childhood into the workforce and help ensure we're meeting the needs of all Michigan students. And they tell us which policies and programs work.
- MI School Data supports Michigan's government standards of accountability - the citizen's right to know if and how our schools are meeting the educational needs of our children, and transparency - information that is easy to access and easy to understand. Most importantly, by helping us understand where to focus our efforts, MI School Data supports our shared goal of every Michigan student being college or career ready.
CEPI is grateful to the many partners and stakeholders that help define how to collect and deliver the data. They include the P-20 SLDS Advisory Council, Michigan Department of Education, Macomb Intermediate School District, President's Council-State Universities of Michigan, Michigan Community College Association, and many others in Michigan's education community. See CEPI Governance & Partner Groups for more information on these groups and how we collaborate together.