Preparing for World War II
In preparation for the possibility that the United States would become involved in the war then raging in Asia and Europe, another major reorganization took place in the Michigan National Guard. It was effective September 30, 1940. Under a stepped-up federal military program, several Michigan Guard units were activated at their armories in October of that year.
Within one to two weeks of their mobilization, these units were sent to Camp Beaureguard, La., for a year of intensive training. The units left Michigan in 1940 and did not return until 1945-46. Following their departure, the only units left in the state were: 119th Field Artillery, 177th Field Artillery, 182nd Field Artillery, 210th Coast Artillery, and a few enlisted men of the State Detachment and officers of the State Staff.