Examples of Voluntary Registration Exam QuestionsP.A. 283 of 1964, as amended, the Weights and Measures Act
1. (True or False) A serviceperson or service agency that fails to disclose to the department any knowledge of a modification to a commercial weighing or measuring device for the purposes of the facilitation of fraud, may be fined up to $1,000 and imprisoned for 90 days, or both.
2. A serviceperson who has NOT voluntarily registered with the department may legally do the following:
a) remove an official seal or tag
b) place a device into commercial service
c) repair an officially condemned device and place it into commercial service
d) none - only a registered serviceperson may accomplish these
3. (True or False) A new commercial weighing or measuring device may be placed in service without a National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) Certificate of Conformance.
4. (True or False) A placed-in-service report must be mailed to W&M within 5 business days, or the serviceperson/service agency is in violation of P.A. 283.
5. The fee for voluntary registration is:
a) $25 for serviceperson & $50 for service agency
b) $100 for service person & $100 for service agency
c) $75 for servicepersons & $300 for service agencies
d) $100 for servicepersons & $300 for service agencies
6. (True or False) The specifications and tolerances for commercial weighing devices in Michigan is NIST Handbook 44, 2012 Edition, and is adopted by reference into P.A. 283 of 1964, as amended, the Weights and Measures Act.
7. (True or False) If there is a conflict between the NIST Handbook 44 General Code and the specific device code (i.e. Scales Code), then the specific device code supersedes the General Code.
8. Acceptance tolerance applies for
a) equipment to be put into commercial use for the first time
b) equipment placed in commercial service within the preceding 30 days that is being officially tested for the first time
c) equipment being returned to service following official rejection for failure to conform to performance requirements
d) all of the above
9. (True or False) In NIST Handbook 44, retroactive requirements are enforceable with respect to all equipment and are printed in upright roman type.
10. All of the following are General Code User Requirements, except:
a) Testing with Nonassociated Equipment
b) Suitability of Equipement
c) Position of Equipment
d) Security Seal
11. (True or False) The tare mechanism shall only operate in a backward (underregistration) direction.
12. (True or False) A computing scale that displays the values of price per unit, net weight and total price on the operator's side, must also display the same units on the customer side.
13. When conducting a shift test on a vehicle scale, at least one test shall be conducted using a minimum test load of:
a) 10% of scale capacity
b) 12.5% of scale capacity
c) 15% of scale capacity
d) 20% of scale capacity
e) any of the above
14. The minimum certified test weights required to place into service a 200,000 pound capacity vehicle scale is:
a) 10,000 lbs.
b) 15,000 lbs.
c) 20,000 lbs.
d) 25,000 lbs.
15. The applicable tolerance class for an unmarked vehicle scale is:
a) Class III
b) Class III L
c) 0.5d if n > 5,000
d) none of the above
16. Adequate provision shall be made for an approved security means (i.e. data change audit trail or a physical security seal) so that no adjustment may be made of:
a) a gas dispenser nozzle assembly
b) any measuring element
c) adjustable rate controlling elements when rate affects delivery accuracy
d) both b and c
17. (True or False) A Category 3 device where remote configuration capability may be unlimited or controlled through a software switch (e.g., password) must have the capability to print a copy of audit trail information through the device or another device on site.
18. A high-volume diesel dispenser with a master/slave configuration, and a maximum installation discharge rate of 25 gallons per minute, may be placed-in-service using a test measure with a minimum capacity of:
a) 5 gallons
b) 20 gallons
c) 19 liters
d) the amount delivered in one minute at maximum flow rate
19. (True or False) The acceptance tolerance for a 5 gallon test draft is +/- 2 cubic inches.
20. A motor-fuel device with two delivery outlets and used only to fuel trucks must be installed so that any diversion of flow is readily apparent. Allowable deterrents include:
a) physical barriers to adjacent driveways
b) lighting systems that indicate which outlets are in operation
c) visible valves
d) any of the above
21. (True or False) A measuring system must be tested with the liquid to be commercially measured or with a liquid of the same general physical characteristics. After placing in service, a tag or seal indicating the product used should be affixed to the meter.
22. (True or False) A product depletion test is a "special test."
23. Acceptance tolerance for a 100 gallon test draft with a rated flow rate of 100 gallons and a meter reading of 100 is:
a) .20 gallons
b) .15 gallons
c) .30 gallons
d) .45 gallons
24. (True or False) Except for vehicle-mounted meters used solely for the sale of aviation fuel, vehicle-mounted metering systems shall be equipped with a ticket printer which shall be used for all sales.
25. (True or False) When multiple tests are conducted at the about the same flow rate and draft size, the range of the results for the flow rate shall not exceed 40% of the absolute value of the maintenance tolerance and the results shall be within the applicable tolerance.
26. (True or False) An LPG meter may be calibrated and placed in service without the use of a certified LPG prover.
27. On LPG meters equipped with automatic temperature compensation (ATC), normal tests shall be conducted by:
a) comparing the indicated or recorded compensated volume to the actual delivered volume corrected to 15° C (60° F)
b) deactivating the ATC and comparing the uncompensated volume indicated or recorded to the actual delivered volume
c) a or b
d) a and b
28. (True or False) An ATC does not require a security seal to prevent its adjustment as long as the meter adjustment is sealed.
29. (True or False) Acceptance tolerance for a normal and special test is 0.6% and 1.0%, respectively.
30. If a device is equipped with an ATC, any recorded representation must be clearly and conspicuously marked that the delivered volume:
a) contained no air
b) has been corrected for the barometric pressure
c) has been corrected to the volume at 15° C (60° F)
d) meets ASTM standards for LPG
31. (True or False) Mass flow metering systems are new technology and thus are not required to have a NTEP Certificate of Conformance.
32. (True or False) As of January 1, 1995, mass flow meters must be marked with the appropriate accuracy class.
33. Acceptance tolerance for an agri-chemical liquids application is:
34. When multiple tests are conducted at about the same flow rate and draft size, the range of the test results for the flow rate shall not exceed:
d) 50% of the absolute value of the maintenance tolerance and the results of each test shall be within the applicable tolerance
35. (True or False) A mass flow metering system used in a asphalt application (less than 50° C) being placed-in-service for the first time, has an underregistration error of 15 lbs. on a 5,000 lbs. test draft. This device meets HB 44 requirements and may be placed in service.