Fertilizer License and Registration Requirements

Download the Fertilizer Application Form, which applies to the following:

  • Specialty Fertilizer Registration
  • Soil Conditioner Registration
  • Fertilizer Manufacturer/Distributor Licensing

Who needs a license or registration?

License - All firms that have their names and address on the labeling or invoicing for an agricultural fertilizer manufactured or distributed in the State of Michigan are required to obtain a Facility License. A license is required for each of these facilities whether they are located in or out of the State of Michigan. 

Note: The principal mailing address shall include the street address, city, state and zip code; however, the street address may be omitted if it is shown in the current city directory or telephone directory.

Registration - All specialty (non-farm use) fertilizers or soil conditioners distributed in the State of Michigan must be registered by the manufacturer or distributor. A registration is required for each brand and product name of each grade of fertilizer product.

What does it cost to be licensed or registered?

A $100.00 license fee is required for all or any part of a calendar year. A $25 registration fee and $100 groundwater fee is required for each product registration. 

In addition to the annual license/registration fees, all licensees and registrants are required to submit tonnage reports and pay a tonnage-based inspection fee. The fertilizer inspection (tonnage) fee increased from $0.10/ton to $0.35/ton. The water quality (previously called groundwater) protection fee on agricultural use fertilizer changed from $0.015 per % of nitrogen per ton to $1.00/ton on all agricultural use fertilizer. Total tonnage fees = $0.35/ton non-agriculture and $1.35/ton agriculture use fertilizer.

How do I apply for a license or registration?

Download and print a copy of the Application Form or contact 517-284-5751.

Complete the application and attach your check or money order made out to the State of Michigan and mail it along with product registration labels to:

Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development
Pesticide & Plant Pest Management Division
P.O. Box 30776 (check driven mail) or P.O. Box 30017 (written correspondence)
Lansing, MI 48909

How long does it take to process my application?

The typical "error-free" application should normally be processed within 4 weeks.

Incomplete Applications, including those missing product labels, and any that are received without or with the incorrect license/registration fees cannot be approved. The application will be returned to the sender and the processing delayed.

When do Fertilizer Manufacturer/Distributor Licenses and Product Registrations expire?

All fertilizer licenses and registrations expire on December 31 and must be renewed on a yearly basis.

How do I renew my Fertilizer License and Registrations?

A renewal application will be placed in the U.S. mail by the end of November. MDARD recommends the use of the renewal application received in the mail because it will contain specific company information such as your license number and company name as previously submitted to MDARD. Any additions, deletions, and other changes can be made right on the renewal form. Licensees and registrants who have not received their application by December 15th should immediately contact MDARD at (517) 284-5751, or send an email to Lorelei Curry.

What should I do if there are changes in company, ownership, name, or address?

Any change in the ownership of a company that is licensed will require an application and fee for a new license. Companies with a change of name and/or address will need to send written notification to MDARD so records can be updated accordingly. 

NOTE: Placing stickers over the old name/address is allowed.