Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    Recreational Vehicles

    If you own a moped, watercraft, or a snowmobile, you must register it with the Department of State (unless it is exempt) and display a registration decal. Once a registration number has been assigned, it cannot be transferred to another moped, watercraft, or snowmobile.
    Riding a Moped Safely All mopeds must be registered with the Department of State. A driver's license or moped license is required.
    Off Road Vehicles (ORV) ORV's are titled through the Secretary of State. While a registration is not issued, ORV's used on public land must display an annual ORV decal.
    Watercraft All watercraft 20 feet and longer and all watercraft with a permanently affixed engine, regardless of length, must be titled. Watercraft not required to be titled may be titled as an option.
    Snowmobiles All snowmobiles must be registered unless used on private property. The snowmobile registration number is printed on the three-year snowmobile decal. Snowmobile decals must be displayed on "each side of the forward half of the cowl above the footwell of the snowmobile."
    Historic Snowmobile Registrations Michigan law allows owners to register snowmobiles 26 or more years old and owned solely as a collector's item as a historic snowmobile. Historic snowmobiles are limited to occasional use and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing.
    Trailers All trailers must be registered when used on-road. If the trailer weighs over 2,500 lbs., it must be titled as well. All trailer coaches are titled and registered regardless of weight.

    Recreational Vehicles Quick Links
     •  Renew Vehicle Plate
     •  Renew Watercraft
     •  Replacement Registration
     •  Replacement Title
     •  Instant Title Services
     •  Fees for License Plates, Registration & Titles
     •  Branch Office Locator & Hours
     •  Military Personnel
     •  Title Histories
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • State Web Sites
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan