Background and Goals
Safe Drivers Smart Options is a statewide strategy, or plan, to support the safe transportation of Michigan's aging adults. The goals of the strategy are to:
- Help aging adults who are able to drive safely continue to do so;
- Help aging adults who are starting to have difficulties with driving transition from driving to non-driving; and
- Support the use of community mobility options for those who no longer drive.
Safe Drivers Smart Options provides information and has identified training and programs, activities considered best practices for Michigan. Designed to be used by aging adults, family and friends, and professionals who work with aging adults, the approach recognizes the important role all of these groups play in keeping Michigan's aging adults safely mobile. As new programs and information are developed that show great promise for supporting aging drivers, they will be included in the plan to ensure that the strategy continues to best meet the needs of Michigan’s aging population.
Safe Drivers Smart Options was developed for Michigan by several key stakeholders in our state. With leadership from the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and Michigan Department of State (MDOS), and the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI), the following organizations helped develop the Safe Drivers Smart Options strategy and/or serve as partners:
- Automobile Association of America (AAA Michigan)
- American Association of Retired Persons - Michigan Chapter (AARP)
- Alzheimer’s Association – Greater Michigan Chapter
- Area Agency on Aging Association of Michigan
- Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists (ADED)
- Blueprint for Aging Michigan
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) - Michigan
- Geriatric Social Workers of Southeast Michigan (GSWSM)
- Michigan Academy of Family Physicians (MAFP)
- Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police (MACP)
- Michigan Association of Planning - American Association of Planning (APA MI)
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning (OHSP)
- Michigan Pharmacists Association (MPA)
- Michigan Public Transit Association (MPTA)
- Michigan Sheriffs’ Association (MSA)
- Michigan State Police (MSP)
- Michigan Trauma Coalition (MTC)
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW) – Michigan Chapter
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG)
- Traffic Improvement Association of Michigan (TIA)
Safe Drivers Smart Options is an award winning website.
Safe Driver Smart Options received three awards in 2017 from the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATORS (AAMVA) whose awards program fosters a tradition of excellence in the motor vehicle and law enforcement community by honoring individuals, teams, and organizations who have committed their time and resources to safety initiatives, outstanding customer service, and public affairs and consumer education programs throughout North America.
REGIONAL WINNER, Excellence in Government Partnership Award
The PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND CONSUMER EDUCATION (PACE) Awards Program within AAMVA recognizes public relations, public affairs and consumer education excellence among the motor vehicle, law enforcement and traffic safety agencies across North America. They recognize creativity, cost effectiveness and the ability to reach consumers with a well-crafted, measured and executed message.
PACE DIVISION 7 WINNER AND CATEGORY 7A WINNER: INTERNALLY PRODUCED WEBSITE