Skip Navigation
Department of Agriculture and Rural Home
  • MDARD Home
  • MDARD Online Services
  • Contact Us/File a Complaint
  • Public Meeting Notices
  • Sitemap
  • close print view

    Food Establishment Licensing Guide: Determine which agency to contact

    Link to Dairy-related Businesses 

    Contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development if you primarily sell, store, or manufacture food. Examples of such establishments include:
    • Retail grocery store, convenience store, party store

    • Bakery, fish market, butcher shop, candy store, produce market

    • Food warehouse, distribution center, transfer station, public cold storage facility

    • Dairy processing / manufacturing
      • bottled milk
      • cheese
      • butter
      • yogurt

    • Large or small food processing plant including:
      • Ice, water, juice or soft drink plant
      • Winery, brewery, or distillery
      • Egg grading & packing plant
      • Fruit & vegetable repacking operation, or brining station
      • Flour mill or cereal plant
      • Cider mill, maple syrup or honey house
      • Food salvage or reclamation center

    • State or county fair concession

    Contact your Local Health Department if you primarily serve food that can be immediately consumed, or operate a:

    • Restaurant, cafeteria, grill, cafe, delicatessen

    • Bar, brewpub, tavern, or nightclub

    • Rental hall, theater, commissary, catering kitchen

    • Donut shop, lunch counter, sandwich shop, soda fountain, coffee shop

    • Catering truck

    • Temporary food service stand at a festival, event, or flea market

    • Vending machine

    • Special transitory food unit
    Related Content
     •  List of Food License Exemptions - Does your business qualify?
     •  Food Establishment Licensing Details & FAQ
     •  Food Establishment Licensing Step-by-Step Guide
     •  Michigan Food Establishment License Application
     •  Do I Need a Plan Review?
     •  New License Expiration Dates
     •  Licensed Under Other Acts
     •  License Type Guide with Fees
     •  Other Considerations
     •  Other Agencies
     •  Temporary Food Establishment Operations Checklist
    QR code Home
  • MDARD Home
  • Contact MDARD
  • State Web Sites
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan