Poultry includes, but is not limited to, chickens, guinea fowl, turkeys, waterfowl, pigeons, doves, peafowl and game birds that are under the husbandry of humans.
- Poultry must have an official interstate certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) filled out by an U.S. Department of Agriculture accredited veterinarian in the animal’s state of origin.
- Participants in the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) may use a “Report of Sales of Hatching Eggs, Chicks and Poults” (VS 9-3 form).
- Poultry moving directly to slaughter may move on an “Owner-shipper Statement.”
- If prior approval is granted by the Director, poultry may move on a “Permit for Movement of Restricted Animal” (VS 1-27) form.
- Poultry must have a negative official test for Salmonella pullorum-typhoid within 90 days prior to importation and remain isolated from all poultry of unknown or positive Salmonella pullorum-typhoid test status. All birds, regardless of age, must be tested for Salmonella pullorum-typhoid.
- Originate directly from an NPIP U.S. Salmonella pullorum-typhoid clean flock and move on a VS 9-3 form.
- Pigeons and doves are exempt from the Salmonella pullorum-typhoid test requirement for importation.
- Poultry vaccinated for Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) may not be imported into Michigan unless permission from the Director is granted. Please contact MDARD at 800-292-3939 prior to entry.
- Poultry properly vaccinated against ILT with Vectormune®FP LT or Vectormune®FP LT+AE may be imported into Michigan without requiring director permission. The interstate CVI must clearly identify the type of ILT vaccine used.
- Check local ordinances for any further regulations or requirements that may apply.
Exhibition (Show, fair, demonstration or display) Requirements:
- Poultry moving within the state of Michigan for exhibition:
All poultry, regardless of age, must have a negative official test for Salmonella pullorum-typhoid within 90 days before exhibition and remain isolated from all poultry of unknown or positive Salmonella pullorum-typhoid test status.
- Waterfowl, pigeons, and doves are exempt from the Salmonella pullorum-typhoid test requirement.
- Originate directly from an National Poultry Improvement Plan U.S. pullorum-typhoid clean flock. Documentation must be presented at the exhibition.
- Poultry being imported from out-of-state for exhibition:
- A completed interstate certificate of veterinary inspection meeting requirement stated above under Import Requirements.
- All poultry must have a negative official test for Salmonella pullorum-typhoid meeting the requirements above for moving within the state for exhibition.
- Contact the exhibition authorities for any additional requirements.
There are no specific requirements for intrastate movement.
Please contact the state of destination. Contact information can be found at: http://bit.ly/StateAHO
Please contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture at 517-337-4700.