Section 31a At-Risk
(Requires the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader ver 5.0). Some PDFs are large and may take several minutes to open.
Program Description: Section 31a of the State School Aid Act provides funding to eligible Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) and Public School Academies (PSAs) for the intent and purposes focused on the following student outcomes: attending school regularly, reading proficiently by the end of 3rd grade, being proficient in mathematics by the end of 8th grade, and being career and college ready by high school graduation [Section 31a(1)]. An "At-Risk Pupil" is a pupil for whom the LEA has documentation that the pupil meets any of the following criteria listed in Section [31a (21)]:
- Economically disadvantaged
- English learner
- Chronically absent as defined and reported to CEPI
- Victim of child abuse or neglect
- Pregnant teenager or teenage parent
- Family history of school failure, incarceration, or substance abuse
- Did not complete high school in four years and still in school
- Did not achieve proficiency on ELA, mathematics, science or social studies state summative assessment
- At risk of not meeting the LEA's core academic curricular objectives in ELA or mathematics based on local assessments
Funds afforded through Section 31a At Risk are limited to instructional services and direct non-instructional services to pupils. They are intended to be spent in the current State fiscal year and may not be used for administration or other related costs. LEAs may carry over funds for one year. Legislative and technical assistance documents are available below.
- Legislation (link to Enrolled Senate Bill No. 133)
- 2017-18 Technical Assistance Schedule (updated 10/26/17)
- Register For Regional Workshops Here
- Please visit the Google Drive Here for the following Section 31 documents:
- Pupil Identification Worksheet (maintain one/per grade for auditing purposes)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Monitoring Indicators
- Monitoring Indicator Resource Document
- Session #1, Legislative Update, Revised November 3, 2017
School Breakfast - Updated Guidance
Per Section 31a (6), LEAs operating a school breakfast program are to use up to $10/student for the costs associated with the operation of this program. This is not an optional expenditure of Section 31a funds. Please refer to Frequently Asked Questions for further guidance.
The 2017-18 Section 31a Program Report (due July 15, 2018), is being revised to align with updated legislation. It will be submitted through the Michigan Electronic Grants System Plus (MEGS+). Technical Assistance on completing the Program Report will be conducted and available in late Winter-early Spring.
Shereen Tabrizi Ph.D., Manager, Special Populations Unit, Office of Field Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Francisco, Section 31a, Early Literacy and MTSS Consultant, email@example.com
Stephanie Holmes-Webster, Section 31a, Early Literacy and MTSS Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alex Schwarz, Accountability Specialist, Office of Assessment and Accountability, email@example.com