- Formative assessment is a planned, ongoing process used by all students and teachers during learning and teaching to elicit and use evidence of student learning to improve student understanding of intended disciplinary learning outcomes and support students to become more self-directed learners.(CCSSO FAST SCASS Austin, Texas June 2017)
Keep up-to-date with our weekly Spotlight on Student Assessment and Accountability
Connecting to Michigan's Top 10 in 10
Top 10 in 10 Strategic Goal 2 Top 10 in 10 Strategic Goal 3 Top 10 in 10 Stragetic Goal 4 Implement, with strong district and building leadership, high-quality instruction in every classroom through a highly coherent, child-centered instructional model where students meet their self-determined academic and personal goals to their highest potential. Develop, support and sustain a high-quality, prepared, and collaborative education workforce. Reduce the impact of high-risk factors, including poverty, and provide equitable resources to meet the needs of all students to ensure that they have access to quality educational opportunities.
FAME Research Related Support Links
- Abstract MAC Research on the 2015-16 FAME Project
- Abstract: MAC Research on the 2014-15 FAME Project
- Abstract: MSU Research on 2013-14 FAME Project
- FAME Presentation at 2012 CCSSO
At the June 2012 CCSSO National Conference on Student Assessment, the MSU research team and Dr. Ellen Vorenkamp, from Wayne RESA and FAME Regional Lead, presented some of the newest research findings from the FAME project. Click here for the presentation PowerPoint.
- FAME Presentation at 2012 AERA
A presentation on the Formative Assessment for Michigan Educators (FAME) was recently offered at the April 2012 AERA Conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. MSU researchers, Dr. Ed Roeber and Dr. Amelia Gotwals, along with doctoral students Dante Cisterna, Tara Kintz, and John Lane, provided data on the impact of teacher learning of the formative assessment process. Click here for the session powerpoint and session paper.
- FAST Research Resources
Provided by CCSSO Formative Assessment for Students and Teachers (FAST) state collaborative, this document summarizes key ideas of the most significant research on formative assessment.
- Additional Formative Assessment Research by Category
This document, complied by the Michigan State University research on formative assessment team, is a synthesis of papers outlining findings on formative assessment.
- Formative Assessment and Next-Generation Assessment Systems: Are We Losing an Opportunity?
On November 10, 2010, CCSSO and leading authorities on formative assessment released a new report about the future of student assessment and the development of more effective ways to assess student learning. Click the report title to read this paper. The event was hosted by CCSSO and the Formative Assessment for Students and Teachers State Collaborative on Assessment and Student Standards (FAST SCASS) of which Michigan is a member.