- Great Start Readiness Program
The Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) is Michigan's state-funded preschool program for four-year-old children with factors which may place them at risk of educational failure. The program is administered by the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Great Start. Funding is allocated to each intermediate school district to administer the program locally.
Research on preschool programs and specific research on GSRP indicates that children provided with a high-quality preschool experience show significant positive developmental differences when compared to children from the same backgrounds who did not attend a high-quality preschool program.
Parents, for more information and to find a program in your area, visit the GSRP Map.
Providers, please see below for specific information about GSRP requirements and reports.
Did You Know?
"Did you know?" is a new feature of the GSRP website where both helpful early childhood information and GSRP specific tips will be posted. When new items are added, the old will be archived. There will be a link for users to click to view archived posts.
Did you know?
...Every GSRP classroom should have a high-quality alphabet chart. Dr. Nell Duke, a member of the MAISA Early Literacy Task Force and distinguished expert on literacy development, elaborated on this during a recent seminar indicating that the alphabet chart should be posted at children’s eye level and be an actively used element of the classroom learning environment. Each letter should be represented by carefully selected pictures and words that are known to children and have a beginning sound that accurately represents the sound the letter makes. For more information vie the Essential Instructional Practices in Early Literacy document on the MAISA website.
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program Supports Dual Language Learners
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program: Replicating Evidence of Impact in Rural Michigan
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program: New Evidence of Impact
- Great Start Readiness Program Evaluation by HighScope Confirms Positive Student Impact
- Child Risk Factor Reports
- PQA & Staff Characteristics Reports
- Longitudinal Evaluation-High Scope