- Great Start Readiness Program
The Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) is Michigan's state-funded preschool program for four-year-old children with factors which may place them at risk of educational failure. The program is administered by the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Great Start. Funding is allocated to each intermediate school district to administer the program locally.
Research on preschool programs and specific research on GSRP indicates that children provided with a high-quality preschool experience show significant positive developmental differences when compared to children from the same backgrounds who did not attend a high-quality preschool program.
Parents, for more information and to find a program in your area, visit the GSRP Map.
Providers, please see below for specific information about GSRP requirements and reports.
Did You Know?
"Did you know?" is a new feature of the GSRP website where both helpful early childhood information and GSRP specific tips will be posted. When new items are added, the old will be archived. There will be a link for users to click to view archived posts.
Did you know?
Technology in the GSRP Classroom
“Technology should never be used for technology’s sake. Instead, it should only be used for learning and meeting developmental objectives, which can include being used as a tool during play.” This statement comes from the Early Learning and Technology Education Policy Brief released in October 2016 by the US Dept. of Education and US Dept. of Health and Human Services. Explore the brief for more on the importance of play, DAP technology, how to distinguish between passive and interactive technology, e-books vs. physical books, considerations for total screen time between school and home, and the absolutely critical role of adults in monitoring and engaging in the technology use of young children.
Archive: Did you know
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program Supports Dual Language Learners
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program: Replicating Evidence of Impact in Rural Michigan
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program: New Evidence of Impact
- Great Start Readiness Program Evaluation by HighScope Confirms Positive Student Impact
- PQA & Staff Characteristics Reports
- Child Risk Factor Reports
- Early Childhood Specialist Webinars
- Great Start to Quality
- Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children (MiAEYC)
- 2016 ISD Early Childhood Contacts
- MI Head Start Association - Grantees & Delegates
- Online HighScope Public Forums
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)