- Great Start Readiness Program
The Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) is Michigan's state-funded preschool program for four-year-old children with factors which may place them at risk of educational failure. The program is administered by the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Great Start. Funding is allocated to each intermediate school district to administer the program locally.
Research on preschool programs and specific research on GSRP indicates that children provided with a high-quality preschool experience show significant positive developmental differences when compared to children from the same backgrounds who did not attend a high-quality preschool program.
Parents, for more information and to find a program in your area, visit the GSRP Map.
Providers, please see below for specific information about GSRP requirements and reports.
Did You Know?
"Did you know?" is a new feature of the GSRP website where both helpful early childhood information and GSRP specific tips will be posted. When new items are added, the old will be archived. There will be a link for users to click to view archived posts.
Did you know?
That the Early Childhood Standards of Quality for Prekindergarten Program Standards limit the amount of time children are seated in a teacher-directed activity to no more than 15 minutes at a time (LE 8.c) and allow children to choose not to participate in group activities (LE 8.i)? How are you meeting these standards? Have you been thoughtful about what is included in your circle time and what children are actually learning from it? This podcast by Kristie Pretti-Frontczak, Ph.D. and preschool teacher, Jen Davis, explores some options for updating circle time to make it a positive, community-building activity for the whole class.
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program Supports Dual Language Learners
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program: Replicating Evidence of Impact in Rural Michigan
- Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program: New Evidence of Impact
- Great Start Readiness Program Evaluation by HighScope Confirms Positive Student Impact
- Child Risk Factor Reports
- PQA & Staff Characteristics Reports
- Longitudinal Evaluation-High Scope
- Early Childhood Specialist Webinars
- Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children (MiAEYC)
- Great Start to Quality
- 2016 ISD Early Childhood Contacts
- MI Head Start Association - Grantees & Delegates
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Online HighScope Public Forums