Child Development and Care: Parents - Help with child care is available to parents who meet eligibility requirements to receive assistance with the costs of accessing high quality child care. The resources below will help you understand if you are eligible, how to apply, and how to select the right child care provider.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Am I eligible for child care assistance?
You may qualify for Michigan's Child Development and Care subsidy program if you need child care while you are engaged in:
- High school completion
- Family preservation
- An approved activity
For a complete list of approved need reasons, please review the Bridges Eligibility Manual (BEM 703) policy. For most families, the department pays less than the full cost of child care. Families are expected to pay the difference between the subsidy payment and the provider's actual charge.
- How do I apply for assistance?
If you need help paying for your child care, assistance may be available. Use MI Bridges to apply. If you cannot use MI Bridges to apply, you can use the paper Child Development and Care Application (MDE-4583). If you plan to use an unlicensed child care provider who is not currently enrolled by the Department of Education, you will also need to have your provider complete the Child Development and Care Unlicensed Provider Application. Make sure that your provider reads and meets the requirements to be an MDE enrolled unlicensed child care provider. Have your provider submit the completed form, along with the required verifications, to the address or fax number listed on the application as soon as possible.
- How can I find licensed or registered child care providers in my area?
To find licensed or registered child care providers in your area, visit www.GreatStarttoQuality.org. Great Start to Quality has local resource centers throughout Michigan where staff can provide helpful answers to your questions. With just one phone call to 877-61GREATSTART (877-614-7328), you can get free information about your options.
Parent Forms & Publications
- Child Development And Care Program Application
Apply for Child Development and Care (CDC) assistance or use the link below in the parent resources section to apply for this, as well as other services.
- CDC Program Application Additional Space Document
Use this form if you need additional space when completing your application.
- CDC Application Verification Checklist
A checklist to assist with completing the CDC application.
- Child Care Provider Verification
Verify the child care provider you have chosen and the date care began. Form DHS-4025.
- Child Development And Care (CDC) Handbook
Includes information on program rules and requirements that you are required to follow.
- A Parent's Guide To Early Learning & Care In Michigan A Checklist For Families.
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
Application to receive child care payment assistance.
- CDC Client Application Process
A step-by-step process to applying for CDC assistance.
- Family Contribution and Income Eligibility Scale
Use the following Income Eligibility Chart to determine if you may be income eligible.
- CDC Reimbursement Rates
The Department pays part of the cost of child care for approved families.
- A Parent's Guide to Child Care Licensing
For more information on choosing the right provider for you.
- Is This the Right Place for my Child?
This resource may be helpful in selecting quality child care options.
- Great Start to Quality To find a licensed or registered provider in your area.