Section 31a At-Risk
(Requires the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader ver 5.0.) Some PDFs are large and may take several minutes to open.
Program Description Section 31a of the State School Aid Act provides funding to eligible districts for supplementary instructional and pupil support services for pupils who meet the at-risk criteria specified in the legislation. These criteria include low achievement on MEAP tests in mathematics, reading or science; failure to meet core academic curricular objectives in English language arts or mathematics (applies to grade K-3 pupils only); or the presence of two or more identified at-risk factors. The funds may also be used for class size reductions in grades 1-6 in schools above the district's poverty percentage. Section 31a funds are limited to direct services to pupils and may not be used for administrative or other related costs.
This is a one-time application that only needs to be completed by new public school academies or school districts that have not received Section 31a funds in the past.
- 2012-13 Section 31a Application 3/28/13
- Section 31a PowerPoint Presentation
- Section 31a Allowable Uses of Funds 9/25/12
- The Section 31a Allowable Uses of Funds document has been revised for the 2012-13 academic year in order to provide clarification to State legislation related to allowable uses of Section 31a funds.
- Section 31a Worksheet for Birth-Age 5
- Recent amendments to Section 31a legislation allow for some specialized services for children Birth-5. This worksheet should be used to identify eligible students. Please also consult the Section 31a Allowable Uses of Funds document for additional program information.
- Section 31a Worksheet for Grades K-3
- Section 31a Worksheet for Grades 4-12 9/25/12
- Section 31a Legislation 9/25/12
The 2012-13 Section 31a Program Report will be due on July 15, 2013, and will be submitted through the Michigan Electronic Grants System Plus (MEGS+).