The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
MDHHS Announces Additional Test Results from Commercial and Clinical Labs in Today's Case Count
March 19, 2020
Confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state increase to 336
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
No. 048 – March 19, 2020
Contact: Lynn Sutfin, 517-241-2112
LANSING, MICH. The count of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases reported by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) today includes results from commercial and clinical labs who recently began providing COVID-19 testing. These results increased the state’s positive case count to a total of 336.
“We are pleased to announce that we are now able to provide testing results from hospitals and other entities outside of our state laboratory,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive and chief deputy for health. “We knew there were additional people in Michigan with COVID-19 that had not yet been tested. This emphasizes the need to continue to practice social distancing and other community mitigation practices to help slow the spread of this disease.”
MDHHS is currently receiving reports from commercial labs LabCorp and Quest Diagnostics and several clinical labs including Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, the Beaumont Hospital Network, Henry Ford Health System and the MDHHS Bureau of Laboratories (BOL).
The addition of cases reported from these new labs have increased the state totals:
|Positive cases 3/18
12 AM - 11:59 PM
|Cumulative positive cases
as of 3/18 11:59 PM
The addition of these reports will allow for the reporting of the following statistics:
- COVID-19 cases reported in the last 24 hours
- Cumulative cases reported during the outbreak
- Number of tests performed in last 24 hours by labs in Michigan (individuals may have more than one test result)
- Cumulative tests performed (individuals may have more than one test result)
- Daily counts of cases and deaths by county
- Cumulative cases and deaths by county
- Percent of cumulative cases by age range (in 10-year increments)
- Percent of cumulative cases by sex
Testing data will be posted daily around 2 p.m. Results will be from the day before at midnight. Michiganders with questions about COVID-19 can get information in several ways.
- Call the COVID-19 hotline at 888-535-6136, seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Email COVID19@michigan.gov. Emails are answered seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m
- Subscribe to the COVID-19 e-newsletter at Michigan.gov/coronavirus
Information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. The latest information is available at Michigan.gov/Coronavirus and CDC.gov/Coronavirus.