Pesticide Control

Contact: Rachel Matthews 517-331-5227

Provided below are links related to the NPDES permit for the application of Pesticides.  The downloadable documents are available in PDF format.

Annual Report Requirements

General Information

Applicable Rules

Pesticide NPDES Permit Documents

Pesticide NPDES Permit Application Documents

Guidance Documents

After completing the application, return it along with any attachments and the application fee ($75.00) to one of the addresses below: Please make check payable to the State of Michigan.


Mail Delivery: Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, Cashier's Office, WRD-NP2, P.O. Box 30657, Lansing, Michigan 48909-8157.

Office Delivery (e.g., UPS, Fed Ex, by hand): Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, Cashier's Office, WRD-NP2, 5th Floor South, Constitution Hall, 525 West Allegan, Lansing, Michigan 48933.

In addition, any water treatment additive (WTA) that is discharged to a surface water of the state from an National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitted discharge requires prior review and approval by the WRD.  Pesticides used for controlling mosquito larvae in waters discharged under NPDES permits are considered WTAs.   Requests to perform pesticide treatment in wastewater treatment systems and catch basins covered by an NPDES permit must originate from the permittee and be made under the Water Treatment Additive approval process.

For applications of pesticides to catch basins and/or waters in a storm sewer system or wastewater treatment system that are covered by a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit, an approval under the  Water Treatment Additive  approval process is necessary.  This includes municipalities, industries and storm water sewer systems under the Phase I and Phase II storm water regulations.

Helpful Links

Contact Information

Questions regarding the DEQ's pesticide permit development process and other related information requests should be directed to Ms. Rachel Matthews, Permits Section, Water Resources Division, DEQ at 517-331-5227 or