For most people, the word “money” conjures up very specific thoughts and feelings - some good, and some, perhaps, not-so-good. What is your relationship with money?
Developed to serve you and all Michigan residents, the Building Mi Financial Future program was created to address your financial questions. We believe you will find this guide and these resources useful as you plan for a secure financial future.
To request your free copy of the toolkit, please call the Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) at 877-999-6442 or in writing to 530 W. Allegan Street, 7th Floor, Lansing, MI 48933.
- Trends in Banking
- Credit Reports and Credit Scores
- Ways to Pay Off Credit Card Debt
- Managing Student Loans
- Qualifying for a Mortgage
- Protecting Your Identity in a High-Tech World
- Getting Married? Tips on Combining Finances
- Planning for Your Child's College Education
- Financial Advisors: An Overview
- Building Your Net Worth
- The Health Insurance Mandate: Get Covered or Pay a Penalty
- Life Insurance: Who's Depending on You?
- Long-Term Care Insurance: Is it Right for You?
- Planning for Retirement
Interactive Online Learning
- Assessing Whether to File Bankruptcy
- Avoiding Consumer Scams & Rip-offs
- Avoiding Deceptive Credit Practices
- Avoiding Deceptive Investment Sales Practices
- Buying or Leasing a Vehicle
- Cash or Credit
- Comparing Financial Products
- Comparing Retirement Plans
- Managing Debt Problems
- Monitor Your Financial Health
- Setting SMART Goals
- The Big Dream - Financial Simulation Game
Locations and Program Information
October 5, 2016
Burton, ELGA Credit Union, 2305 South Center Rd. Burton, MI 48519
5:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Building Mi Financial Future (BMFF) (Keynote: Dorethia Kelly)
October 13, 2016
Muskegon, Muskegon Innovation Hub at Grand Valley State University, 200 Viridian Dr. Muskegon, MI 49440
5:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Building Mi Financial Future (BMFF) (Keynote: Kurt David)
October 20, 2016 (evening only)
Livonia, Livonia Senior Center, 15218 Farmington Rd. Livonia, MI 48154
5:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Hybrid event (pieces of both RMR and BMFF) (Keynote: Dorethia Kelly)
October 26, 2016
East Lansing, MSUFCU, 3777 West Rd. East Lansing, MI 48823
5:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Building Mi Financial Future (BMFF) (Keynote: Mat Ishbia)
Scheduled Discussion Topics:
Building Mi Financial Future
- Free Financial QuickChecks
A QuickCheck is a non-commercial, one-on-one financial counseling session offered by appointment during this program.
- Fraud and Identity Theft Prevention: The Michigan Attorney General's Office
Identity theft is one of the biggest financial threats we face. The Attorney General's Office will provide information on how to prevent identity theft and how to handle the situation if you've been caught by a "phisher."
- Mortgages and Other Financial Topics: MSU Extension
This program will provide a practical look at how to pay off mortgages, budgeting, and paying off student loans in a world of decreasing interest rates and increasing costs of living.
- Free Financial QuickChecks