Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
The Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (MiBRFSS) is composed of annual, state-level telephone surveys of Michigan residents, aged 18 years and older. These annual, state-level surveys, also known as Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveys (MiBRFS) act as the only source of state-specific, population-based estimates of the prevalence of various behaviors, medical conditions, and preventive health care practices among Michigan adults. MiBRFS results are used by public health agencies, academic institutions, non-profit organizations and others to develop and evaluate programs that promote the health of Michigan citizens.
The national Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) consists of annual surveys (i.e., BRFS) conducted independently by the states, District of Columbia, and U.S. territories, and is coordinated through cooperative agreements with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The annual Michigan surveys follow the CDC telephone survey protocol for the BRFSS and the annual standardized core questionnaire is used. In addition, the Michigan BRFS includes about 25 state-added questions each year.
Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Staff
Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Coordinator/Epidemiologist: Chris Fussman, MS
Within the sections below you will find annual Michigan BRFS questionnaires, as well as annual and multi-year Michigan BRFS surveillance data focusing on health risk behaviors, health indicators, and chronic diseases both at the state and local level. These sections also include a variety of reports focusing on special analyses that have been conducted using Michigan BRFS data.
The BRFS annual questionnaires consist on CDC core questions, optional modules, and state-added questions.
The BRFS annual reports highlight key health risk behaviors, health indicators, and diseases in Michigan.
The MiBRFSS standard tables present prevalence estimates on health risk behaviors, health indicators, and diseases from the Michigan BRFS by age group, gender, race, education level, and household income level.
The MiBRFSS race/ethnicity tables provide prevalence estimates on key health risk behaviors, health indicators, and diseases for Michigan's major racial/ethnic populations.
Region-specific and local health department-specific prevalence estimates for health risk behaviors, preventive health practices, and chronic conditions are computed using a three to five-year combined MiBRFSS dataset that maximizes the available sample size.
The MiBRFSS Surveillance Brief is a quarterly newsletter highlighting new topical data from the MI BRFSS. The miscellaneous BRFS reports include other reports and presentations that have been created using BRFSS data.
- Michigan BRFSS Highlights
The following presentations provide short summaries of the key findings from the most recent Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveys.
- The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System: Past, Present, and Future (PDF)
- 2015 Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Data Users Meeting (PPT)
- 2014 Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Data Users Meeting (PPT)
- Highlights from the 2011 Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Survey (PDF)
Other Michigan Surveys
- Minority Health Surveys
The Michigan Department of Community Health, Health Disparities Reduction and Minority Health Section has funded other stand-alone surveys that focus on specific racial/ethnic populations within Michigan.
Michigan Asthma Call-Back Survey
The Michigan Asthma Call-Back Survey has been conducted annually since 2005 in conjunction with the Michigan BRFSS. Standard tables based on these data are available below.
Adult Asthma Call Back Survey
- 2011-2013 Adult Asthma Call-Back Tables (PDF)
- 2008-2010 Adult Asthma Call-Back Tables (PDF)
- 2005-2009 Adult Asthma Call-Back Tables (PDF)
Child Asthma Call Back Survey
- 2011-2013 Child Asthma Call-Back Tables (PDF)
- 2008-2010 Child Asthma Call-Back Tables (PDF)
- 2006-2010 Child Asthma Call-Back Tables (PDF)
- 2005-2009 Child Asthma Call-Back Tables (PDF)
- If you have any questions regarding the information within the above publications or you would like to submit a request for further Michigan BRFS information that is not included within these publications, please email our Michigan BRFSS staff at MIBRFSS@michigan.gov.
State of Michigan
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
- Selected Metropolitan/Micropolitan Area Risk Trends (SMART BRFSS)
- Chronic Disease Indicators
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System