The Office of Professional Preparation Services has a Facebook fan page! Like us on Facebook and receive notification of the latest news and upcoming events at www.facebook.com/MIEducator.
The Office of Professional Preparation Services (OPPS) is responsible for ensuring qualified educators by implementing requirements for their initial preparation and certification, and certificate renewal based on appropriate professional development to enhance instruction and achievement for all students.
This service area is comprised of the following units:
• Professional Educator Certification and Services Unit
• Professional Accountability Unit, and Professional Preparation and Learning Unit
• Customer Service Survey Please take a few minutes to complete our five question online survey. Customer feedback allows the Office of Professional Preparation Services (OPPS) to celebrate and improve the service that we provide to you.
• Clarification on Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) The Michigan State Police (MSP) has forwarded a letter to all local school districts, intermediate school districts (ISD) and public school academies (PSA) regarding the use of the criminal history record information (CHRI) as required under MCL 380.1230a. This memorandum provides additional clarification to support and reiterate MSP's notification. Vendors/contractors and management companies who place contract personnel such as substitute teachers, bus drivers, food service, janitorial, etc., are not eligible to receive the CHRI effective January 1, 2014.
• Educator Certificate Renewal and Progression This memo provides information to districts in order to avoid any lapse in certificate validity which may jeopardize an educator's employment and/or result in a state aid penalty for the employing school district. The employing school district is required by law to ensure that teachers are properly certificated.
• Use of Non-Certificated Teachers This memo advises districts and public school academies of Michigan law related to the use of non-certificated teachers by local school districts, intermediate school districts, and public school academies when engaged in instruction and the corresponding school aid adjustments for use of non-certified teachers. Two sections of the State School Aid Act address this situation: Section 6(8) (MCL 388.1606) and Section 163 (MCL 388.1763).
• District Provided Professional Development Documentation Required for the Renewal of the Professional and Occupational Certificates Recent changes in the Teacher Certification Code (MCL §390.1132(c) and §390.1135(1)(c)) enable Michigan teachers to utilize District Provided Professional Development (DPPD) for the purpose of Professional and Occupational certificate renewal. For purposes of compliance with MCL §390.1132(c) the five days of required professional development (MCL§380.1527) are equivalent to 30 clock hours.
• Alternate Route to Interim Teacher Certification Information (for providers only)
• Educator Certification Administrative Rules
• NCLB & Highly Qualified Information