- The Michigan Department of Education's (MDE) Office of Evaluation, Strategic Research and Accountability (OESRA) is committed to proactively formulate and oversee the work of collaborative research partnerships to support educational goals and priorities in the State of Michigan. This site will introduce you to evaluation and research conducted by MDE, the role of the Research Collaborative and help researchers with the data requests.
The state's education data portal, MI School Data, makes available to the public aggregate reports on Michigan's public school education system. Please click on the following link to view these data https://www.mischooldata.org.
Provided below is the Michigan Research Collaborative Internal Review Board (IRB) meeting schedule and submission deadlines for Confidential Data Request Applications and Change Request Forms. Materials submitted after the deadline will be reviewed at the next month’s meeting. Please send all materials to MDE-Research@michigan.gov.
2018 Submission Deadline
April 6th - CANCELED*
May 11th - CANCELED*
December - Committee Does Not Meet
2018 Meeting Date
April 24th CANCELED*
May 29th CANCELED*
December - Committee Does Not Meet
* The Michigan Research Collaborative Internal Review Board (IRB) is undergoing a change in the IRB review process. During the transition months of April and May, we will not be accepting any applications or change requests. March 9, 2018, is the final date that we will be accepting applications and change requests. We will begin accepting applications and change requests after May 11th for the June IRB meeting.
Michigan's state-level Research Collaborative, led by members from the MDE and the Center for Educational Performance and Information, enables the organization of a broad research capacity to address state education policy questions in a more coherent fashion. The Research Collaborative enables a fuller understanding of the issues our educational system faces and fosters ongoing working relationships within the research community as well as the community at large by:
• Setting and prioritizing educational research goals, priorities, polices and a research agenda;
• Assembling researchers to form consortiums and partnerships to collaborate and support educational goals and priorities in the State of Michigan;
• Establishing research data request guidelines and standards for proposal submission;
• Reviewing research proposals, regardless of funding source;
• Ensuring that student, school and system performance are measured meaningfully and researchers apply rigorous social science methodology to produce accurate and reliable studies;
• Helping researchers communicate actionable findings through presentation opportunities on the implementation and effectiveness of programs and policies necessary to ensure informed decision-making regarding future efforts;
• Building the technical and human capacity to use the data effectively at all educational levels, by research audiences and centrally; and
• Helping to foster community understanding of the relevance of research and evaluation.
- How do I get started and what materials do I need?
- Data Request Approval Process
- Researcher Requirements
- Revised Confidential Data Application Instructions (January 2018)
- Revised Confidential Data Request Application (January 2018)
- Revised Confidential Data Change Request (January 2018)
- Send completed confidential data request application to email@example.com