- Office of Special Education Requests Public Comment on the FFY 2018 Annual Application Under Part B of IDEA
The Michigan Department of Education, Office of Special Education requests public participation in the review of its Annual State Application Under Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act for Federal Fiscal Year 2018. Public review is from March 12, 2018, through May 12, 2018. Written comment will be accepted through April 10, 2018.
- New Mediation Assistance Hot Line To Provide Improved Resolution to Special Education Disputes
The Michigan Special Education Mediation Program (MSEMP) has a new toll-free, statewide phone number: 833-KIDS1ST or 833-543-7178.
- Alternative Assessment Waiver Request for the 1% Cap
- Emergency Use of Seclusion and Physical Restraint
- Measurable Annual Goals and Short Term Objectives
- Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC)
- IDEA Grant Funded Initiatives
External projects and activities funded by the MDE OSE, including Alt+Shift, Michigan's Integrated Behavior and Learning Support Initiative (MIBLSI), Michigan Alliance for Families, and Statewide Autism Resources and Training (START).
Catamaran is the system used to track activities and data related to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and the Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education (MARSE) for the Michigan Department of Education Offices of Special Education (OSE) and Great Start. Catamaran is designed to support districts and service areas in meeting their obligations of the IDEA, MARSE, and state identified priorities. Catamaran is an external system managed by the OSE.
- English Learners (ELs) With Suspected Disabilities Guidance Handbook
- Michigan Special Education Reference
MI-SER provides access to state and federal special education law and policy information and resources. The database features a comprehensive search functionality allowing users to research relevant information.
- Dispute Resolution/Mediation Services
- Low Incidence Outreach
- Michigan School for the Deaf
- VI & DHH Consortia for Teacher Preparation The Michigan Department of Education has partnered with several out-of-state institutions of higher education that have teacher preparation programs, as well as with schools and agencies for the blind and Michigan institutions of higher education, to deliver an online endorsement program that will permit certified teachers to obtain an additional endorsement on their Michigan teaching certificate in either deaf/hard of hearing or visual impairment.
- Sign-up to receive OSE email updates
- About OSE
- Contact Information
- Office of Special Education Directory and Overview
An overview of activities and initiatives within the MDE, Office of Special Education.