This website provides information about implementation of the Healthy Michigan Plan 1115 demonstration waiver amendment approved by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) on December 17, 2015. Approval of this waiver amendment was required by Public Act 107 of 2013, and provides the framework for a new health care coverage program known as the MI Marketplace Option. Information specific to this waiver amendment, including the operational protocols, can be found at www.michigan.gov/healthymichiganplan.
Consistent with the waiver amendment, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) will begin transitioning eligible beneficiaries from the Healthy Michigan Plan to a MI Marketplace Option health plan starting in April 2018.
Health Plans and Covered Services
MI Marketplace Option beneficiaries will receive most of their health care services through a new type of health plan. These MI Marketplace Option health plans:
- are not Medicaid health plans,
- will provide a more limited benefit package consistent with the Affordable Care Act’s essential health benefits,
- will each have their own provider network, and
- will each have their own prescription drug formulary.
MDHHS will cover as wrap-around services:
- non-emergency medical transportation, and
- family planning services provided by out-of-network providers.
We will continue to post information about the MI Marketplace Option on this website as it becomes available.