The 19th Annual Great Lakes Homeland Security Training Conference and Expo hosted by the Michigan State Police, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation - Detroit Division, brings over 1,200 stakeholders together for training, demonstrations, and networking relevant to existing homeland security issues and initiatives. Participants include fire, law enforcement, health care and public health, schools, emergency management, private sector, and all levels of government (local, state, federal, tribal) from Michigan and surrounding states. Vendors are on-site to demonstrate new products and services in various aspects of homeland security, safety, disaster recovery, and preparedness. The primary objectives of the conference are to raise awareness with regard to terrorist threats, mitigation strategies, and response capabilities necessary to protect Michigan citizens.
Each year the conference committee selects a dynamic lineup of keynote speakers. Previous speakers have included:
• Benghazi Survivors: Kris "Tanto" Paronto, Mark "Oz" Geist, and John "Tig" Tiegen
• Martin Dempsey, Retired General, 18th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
• Marcus Luttrell, Retired Navy Seal and the Lone Survivor in Operation Red Wing
• Raymond Kelly, Retired, Longest Serving Commissioner in NYPD History
• Michele Gay, Mother of Sandy Hook Victim
• Robert O'Neill, Retired Navy Seal
• Andrew Velasquez, FEMA Region V Director
• Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, National Heroic U.S. Airways Pilot
• Robert Mueller III, Former Director of FBI
• Robert Gates, Former 22nd U.S. Secretary of Defense
• Mike Mullen, Retired Admiral U.S. Navy and 17th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
• Rudy Giuliani, Former Mayor of NYC
• Colin Powell, Retired 4-star General U.S. Army and 65th U.S. Secretary of State
For questions related to the conference, contact EMHSD-Conference@michigan.gov.