General Questions
What is a qualified motor vehicle?

IFTA defines a "qualified motor vehicle" as "a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for transportation of persons or property and:

  • Having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
  • Having three or more axles regardless of weight; or
  • Is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight. Qualified motor vehicle does not include recreational vehicles.

Farm plated vehicles and school buses meeting the definition of "qualified motor vehicle" will need to obtain an IFTA license and fuel decals if they are traveling in another jurisdiction where they are required.

How do I get an IFTA application?
Stop Sign  STOP!! If you do not travel outside of Michigan, you do not need an IFTA license.

If you operate qualified motor vehicles interstate you will need to complete an application form to receive your IFTA fuel tax license and decals.

  • New licensees will file a new IFTA Application on our website.
  • A renewal license shall be processed in the new IPC system implemented on December 8, 2014.

There is no fee for an IFTA license and decals. Incomplete information may result in lengthy delays in processing your application. Please review your application for accuracy prior to submission.

Once a new licensee is approved, you will receive your IFTA credentials which consists of one license and the number of decal sets you applied for. You will also receive information on accessing the IPC system. Copies of your license can be printed from your new account on the IPC system to place in each "qualified motor vehicle". It is advised that you reference the decal sequence you have been issued at the time you receive the original license and decal sets.

A renewal license that is processed on the IPC system will automatically produce a decal order and decals will be mailed out normally in one to three days. The IFTA license will be available immediately for printing.

How can I contact the Michigan IFTA office?

The Michigan IFTA telephone number is 517-636-4580. Written inquiries or other correspondence should be mailed to:

Michigan Department of Treasury
Special Taxes Division, IFTA Unit
P.O. Box 30474
Lansing, MI 48909-7974

You may also e-mail us at IFTA_Licensing@michigan.gov - The Department cannot respond to confidential correspondence by e-mail. General questions will be answered via e-mail, however account specific questions will be answered by telephone or US mail.

I'm no longer in business. How do I cancel my account?

A request to discontinue your account must be made, in writing, within 15 days from the date of discontinuance. Form #4460 (IFTA Cancellation of Account) is available on our website.

Failure to submit a cancellation request timely will result in your account remaining active and quarterly tax returns due or estimated bills may be issued.

Department policy requires all unused decals to be returned and all used decals to be destroyed upon cancellation.

You are responsible for filing all tax returns that are due prior to the date the account was officially discontinued.

What is my base jurisdiction for IFTA licensing?

IFTA defines "base jurisdiction" as the member jurisdiction where your "qualified motor vehicles" are based for vehicle registration purposes and:

  • Where the operational control and operational records of the licensee's "qualified motor vehicles" are maintained or can be made available.
  • Where some travel is accrued by "qualified motor vehicles" in the licensee's fleet.
What are the phone numbers for the Departments I may need to contact?
  • The Regulatory and Credentialing Section of the Michigan State Police, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (MSP/CVED) - 517-248-8120
  • Federal Heavy Vehicle Tax or Highway Use Tax - 800-829-4933
  • Michigan Center for Truck Safety - 800-682-4682 or 517-321-1951
  • International Registration Plan (IRP)
    517-322-1058 fax