What should I do if my check/draft is lost or stolen?

To request a stop payment be placed on the check/draft use "Check My Income Tax Info".

For privacy and security reasons you will be asked for your social security number, name, tax year, adjusted gross income or total household resources and filing status.

Click on the above link and follow these steps:

  1. Select the option "Ask an Account Specific Question" button on that page and follow the directions.
  2. After verification of your identification, choose the appropriate option "Ask Treasury a Question".
  3. You will be asked to enter the tax year, your adjusted gross income or total household resources and filing status. You must include your complete current address in your request.

You will receive an affidavit in the mail within 30 to 45 days requesting your signature as proof of the lost/stolen check/draft. Promptly mail affidavit back to the address included on the form. Allow 120 days for the replacement check or draft to be received. If you locate your check/draft after you have requested a stop payment, you MUST contact us before you attempt to cash/deposit it. 

Note: If you are unable to authenticate using your current tax year information, select the previous tax year return information to authenticate with. When you submit your question, explain that you selected a previous tax year to authenticate with. Include the adjusted gross income, refund amount and tax year you are inquiring about.