Skip to main content

History

Cad-Place-Chandelier

History

Cadillac Place History

The Cadillac Place Building , originally named the General Motors Building, was designed and constructed by famed Detroit architect Albert Kahn. The historic building has a neo-classical and art deco design and was constructed with steel, limestone, granite and marble -- some of the most expensive construction materials even today. Construction of the building spanned from 1919 to 1922, and once completed it boasted 1.3 million square feet of commercial real estate and stood 220 feet tall. In 1985, the building was officially deemed a National Historic Landmark and it served as the General Motors World Headquarters from its opening in 1923 until 2000. In 2001, the building's name was changed to Cadillac Place, named after Detroit's founder, Antoine Laumet de la Mothe, sieur de Cadillac.
View the Photo Gallery

The Neighborhood

Near Henry Ford Hospital, Wayne State University, the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, and the Detroit Institute of Arts.

Adjacent to the Shinola World Headquarters and factory.

Adjacent to the Center for Creative Studies, the Fisher Building and Fisher Theater.

Two blocks from the Q Line and Woodward Avenue.

Two blocks east of 531 new apartments under construction.

One block south of 200 upcoming apartments within the Albert Kahn Building.

Cadillac Place front entrance