Skip to main content

Resources for Veterans (Directory)

Individuals who have served in the United States Armed Forces and their families have access to a wide variety of federal benefits and state programs, including the following:

  • Disability compensation
  • Healthcare
  • Aid & attendance
  • Emergency grants
  • Skilled nursing and domiciliary care
  • Burial benefits

If you are a veteran, or you are the spouse or dependent of a veteran, an accredited veterans service officer can help you determine what benefits you may be eligible for and help you claim the benefits you have earned at no cost to you. Contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency at 1-800-MICH-VET or visit to learn more or be connected with a service officer near you.

Disability Compensation

If you have an injury or ailment that was a result of, or made worse by, your military service and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions, you may be entitled to disability compensation. The basic benefit amount ranges from $127 to over $3,100 per month, depending on your level of disability and number of dependents. This is a tax-free benefit. If you are a veteran who qualifies for a 100-percent disability rating from the VA, you are entitled to additional benefits. Contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency at 1-800-MICH-VET or visit to learn more or be connected with a service officer near you.

Healthcare Services

The VA offers veterans a full spectrum of healthcare services, including inpatient, outpatient, pharmacy, dental care and others. If you served in the active military, naval or air service and are separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA healthcare benefits. For questions related to VA healthcare services contact the Health Benefits Service Center: or call 877-222-8387.


The VA helps veterans and their families cope with financial challenges by providing supplemental income through the Veterans Pension program. This is done through tax-free monetary benefits payable to wartime veterans with low incomes, who are permanently and totally disabled, or are age 65 and older. These veterans may be eligible for monetary support if they have 90 days or more of active military service with at least one day of which was during a period of war. Contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency at 1-800-MICH-VET or visit to learn more or be connected with a service officer near you.

Aid & Attendance

Veterans and surviving spouses who qualify for a VA pension may be eligible for additional funds if they are housebound or require the aid of another person to perform everyday tasks, such as bathing, feeding and dressing, among others. These additional funds can help offset the cost of that additional care, including nursing home expenses.

Even if a veteran or surviving spouse's income is greater than the congressionally mandated legal limit for a VA pension, he or she may still be eligible. An accredited veterans service officer can assist you in determining your eligibility and filing a claim. Contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency at 1-800-MICH-VET or visit to learn more or be connected with a service officer near you.

Michigan Homes for Veterans

The State of Michigan operates two veterans' homes, in Grand Rapids and Marquette. At the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans and the D.J. Jacobetti Home for Veterans, eligible veterans and their spouses benefit from skilled nursing, dementia, special needs or domiciliary care in safe, caring environments. If you or a loved one is in need of our services, contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency at 1-800-MICH-VET or

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund

The Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF) offers financial assistance to combat-era veterans when unforeseen circumstances cause a temporary financial emergency or hardship that a grant, if approved, would resolve. You must be able to show that you will be able to meet future expenses after the grant. Trust Fund applications are accepted in the county where you reside. To locate your MVTF County Counselor, visit or call 1-800-MICH-VET.

Life Insurance

The VA offers many varieties of insurance programs for new enrollees as well as disabled veterans. The VA Life Insurance Office has specialists available between 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. eastern standard time (EST) to discuss premium payments, insurance dividends, address changes, policy loans, naming beneficiaries, and to report the death of an insured. For questions related to life insurance contact: or call 800-669-8477.

Property Tax Exemption for Disabled Veterans

Public Act 161 of 2013 provides totally disabled military veterans an exemption from property taxes on their primary residence and extends that exemption to a disabled veteran's spouse, if the veteran dies before the tax break is granted. Previously, a veteran could qualify for a property tax exemption only if he or she was receiving assistance for specially adapted housing. To apply for the exemption, the disabled veteran, their unremarried surviving spouse or their legal designee must annually file an affidavit with their local unit of government. A disabled veteran must meet one of the following qualifications:

  • The United States Department of Veterans Affairs has determined the veteran is permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service and entitled to veteran benefits at the 100 percent rate.
  • The veteran has a certificate from the United States Veterans Administration, or its successors, certifying that he or she is receiving or has received pecuniary (financial) assistance due to disability for specially adapted housing.
  • The veteran has been rated by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs as individually unemployable.

Contact your local unit of government for information on how to apply for the exemption.

Veterans Crisis Line

The VA offers family members, caregivers, and loved ones confidential support from an experienced, caring VA responder. If you are concerned about the safety and well-being of a veteran, contact the Veterans Crisis Line at 800-273-8255, and press 1.

Military Funeral Honors

By law, eligible veterans are entitled to Military Funeral Honors at the time of their passing. This includes, at a minimum, a two-person uniformed honor detail to perform a ceremony that includes folding and presenting of the American flag to the next of kin and the playing of Taps. Additional elements may be available if resources allow. Your local funeral home can assist you with arranging military funeral honors. If you need assistance obtaining a copy of the veteran's discharge papers, contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency at 1-800-MICH-VET.

Burial Benefits

Veterans (discharged under conditions other than dishonorable) and their spouses are eligible for burial in a national cemetery, space permitting. This includes opening and closing of the grave, perpetual care, a government headstone or marker, a burial flag and a Presidential Memorial Certificate. Some veterans may also be eligible for burial allowances, including wartime veterans, low-income veterans, and those drawing veteran pensions or compensation.

To schedule a burial at a national cemetery, fax all discharge documentation to the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 866-900-6417 and follow-up with a phone call to 800-535-1117. National cemeteries in Michigan with space available include:

  • Fort Custer National Cemetery in Augusta, 269-731-4164
  • Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly, 248-328-0386

Presidential Memorial Certificates

Presidential Memorial Certificates (PMC) are given to recognize honorably discharged deceased veterans. Next of kin, relatives, or friends may request certificates at any local office or by mail at Presidential Memorial Certificate (41A1C), Department of Veteran Affairs, 5109 Russell Road, Quantico, VA 22134-3903. These certificates can be requested at any time. To request a certificate, you need a copy (not original) of the veteran's discharge document and a return address to which you would like the certificate sent. If you have already requested a PMC more than (16) weeks ago and have not received it yet, please call 202-565-4964 to find out the status of your request.