Health Certificates

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection:

A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is used for movement from one state to another and can only be issued by an USDA-accredited veterinarian.

Accredited veterinarians are responsible for confirming that their clients are moving animals in accordance with state and federal laws.

To ensure you are following Michigan’s movement requirements, visit the animal movement pages.

Starting January 1, 2018, the new all-species CVI will be the only paper form accepted. All-species CVI forms can be ordered from AID by email or phone.  

You can submit your CVI by mail, fax or email at:

Mail: MDARD AID, P.O. BOX 30017, LANSING, MI  48909

Fax: 517-241-1560


Electronic CVIs

AID accepts and encourages the use of electronic CVIs. For more information contact Colleen Phillipich at 800-292-3939.


Helpful links:

Top Ten Tips for filling out the Michigan All-Species CVI

State of Destination Animal Import Requirements (International and State Department of Agriculture Information)

Michigan Movement Requirements

Search Engine that Verifies State Movement Requirements (Livestock)

Aphis 7001 Form (for international movement)


Pet Health Certificates:

A Pet Health Certificate is required to be given to a customer by a Michigan pet shop when a dog, cat or ferret is purchased. It is also required to be given to customers of large-scale dog breeding kennels (more than 15 breeding females).

The certificate is required to be issued by a licensed veterinarian and is valid for 30 days from the date the animal was examined. More information can be found in the Pet Health Certificate Instructions.

Pet Health Certificate (revised March 2017)