Skip Navigation
Michigan Department of Community, Official Website for the State of Michigan Home
  • MDCH Home
  • Sitemap
  • Contact MDCH
  • close print view

    Legal Name Change

    Obtaining a legal name change in court does not automatically change the name on your birth record. That process can only be done through the Changes Unit in the State Vital Records office. You will need to submit a completed and signed correction application, a fee of $50.00 in the form of a personal check or money order payable to the State of Michigan in U.S. funds, a copy of your current, valid photo identification and a copy of the court order for documentation. The $50.00 fee includes one certified copy of the record with the changes made. Additional copies are $16.00 each if ordered at the same time.

    To download an application form with instructions, click on 'Correct a Birth Record' from the left-hand menu bar. If you have questions or need further assistance, you can contact the Changes Unit directly at 517-335-8660.
    Related Content
     •  Turn-Around Time
     •  Urgent Requests
     •  Adoptees Requesting a Birth Record
     •  Identifying a Michigan Birth Record
     •  Driving Directions
     •  Official Statement of No Marriage
    QR code Home
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • MDCH Home
  • Contact MDCH
  • State Web Sites
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan