Be Someone Who Matters to Someone Who Matters
Submit your mentoring story and you could win a $200 grand prize. Celebrate and help us promote National Mentoring Month by sharing your stories of how mentoring makes a difference in the lives of youth and their mentors.
- 2015 Michigan Mentoring Month Toolkit January 2015 is Michigan and National Mentoring Month. Click here to access some great resources to help organizations and individuals get involved.
- Coaches' Challenge: Team Michigan The National Mentoring Partnership has identified 15 million youth in need of a mentor. Each year, in an effort to help close the gap between children in need of mentors and mentors available to help, the head football coaches from universities within Kansas, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Nebraska have issued a friendly challenge to see which state can recruit the most new mentors. Learn how you can become part of Team Michigan!
- May is National Foster Care Month: Pass It On & Change a Lifetime! 14,000 Michigan children are in foster care at any given time. To help draw attention to this important youth population, May is celebrated as National Foster Care Awareness Month.
- Michigan Community Service Commission Awarded $262,500 to Support Volunteer Efforts The Michigan Community Service Commission, the state's lead agency on service and volunteerism, announced today the receipt of $262,500 in funding to support various volunteer activities and efforts in the state. The grant was provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), the federal agency for volunteering and service, as part of their Volunteer Generation Fund.
- Mentor Michigan & DNR Fisheries Mini-Grants In December 2013, employees of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Fisheries Division, held a silent auction with the proceeds benefiting Mentor Michigan. In total, the group raised $3,482 that will be distributed by Mentor Michigan to mentoring programs throughout the state. These funds will be used to support fishing-related activities and expenses as a way to get the next generation of anglers involved, interested and "hooked" on fishing as they experience the fun with their mentors!
- Michigan Mentoring Month Celebrates Impact of Mentoring & Draws Awareness to the Need for More Michigan Mentors Governor Snyder proclaimed January 2013 as Michigan Mentoring Month. This annual effort highlights the importance and impact of mentoring in communities across the state and is held in conjunction with National Mentoring Month.
- Faith-Based Mentor Recruitment Toolkit The Mentor Michigan Foster Care Initiative began in 2011 and is a partnership between Mentor Michigan and the Department of Human Services (DHS). The goal of the initiative is to enhance support for mentoring programs serving youth in foster care and increase the number of foster youth in mentoring relationships. Click here to learn more about supporting youth in foster care through mentoring.
- An Interview with Dr. Michael Karcher Mentor Michigan was lucky enough to host Dr. Michael Karcher from the University of Texas at San Antonio as the keynote speaker at the 5th Annual Michigan's Premier Mentoring Conference this past November in East Lansing.
- Mentor Michigan Stories Submit your mentoring story to help promote Michigan Mentoring Month and you could win $200.