Skip Navigation
Michigan, Official Portal for the State of Michigan Home
close print view

Sales Tax

Who is required to have a sales tax license? - Individuals or businesses that sell tangible personal property to the final consumer need a sales tax license. An application for a sales tax license may be obtained on our web site. In order to register for sales tax, please follow the application process.

City/Local/County Sales Tax - Michigan has no city, local, or county sales tax. The state sales tax rate is 6%.

Retailers - Retailers make sales to the final consumer. Sales tax of 6% on their retail sales must be remitted to the State of Michigan. In addition, retailers must be licensed to collect tax from their customers and remit the sales tax to the State of Michigan.

Wholesalers - Wholesalers sell to other wholesalers or retailers and not to the final consumer. The price at which the seller sells a product does not determine if the seller is a wholesaler. The determination is based on whom the products are sold to by the seller. Wholesalers buy for resale at wholesale. They are not making retail sales; therefore registration for sales tax is not required. Wholesalers claiming an exemption should provide a written statement that they are purchasing for "resale at wholesale".

Contractors - A sales tax license is not required for contractors or subcontractors, since they are the final consumers of the materials they affix to real property. Anyone who is directly engaged in the activity of constructing, altering, repairing, or improving real estate for others is liable for the sales tax on the inventory value of the materials affixed to the property. If the real estate being constructed, altered, repaired, or improved is a nonprofit hospital or nonprofit housing entity, no tax is due on any materials which became affixed to and made a structural part of the hospital or housing entity. This information may be obtained in Revenue Administrative Bulletin 1988-35 and 1999-02.

Services - Businesses repair, improve, or alter tangible personal property owned by others. Businesses, who sell tangible personal property in addition to providing labor or a service, are required to obtain a sales tax license. Any property which goes with the customer in connection with the repair or service is considered a sale at retail and subject to sales tax.

Michigan Business One Stop
Link to Department and Agencies Web Site Index
Link to Statewide Online Services Index
Link to Statewide Web-based Surveys
Link to RSS feeds available on this site
Related Content
 •  Sales and Use Tax Information
 •  Sales and Use Tax FAQs
 •  New Prepaid Sales Tax Collection and Reporting Requirements PDF icon
 •  Overview of Use Tax for Sellers of Services
 •  Use Tax
 •  Third-Party Lenders – Bad Debt Deductions
 •  Use Tax
 •  Sales Tax
 •  Interstate (Fleet) Motor Carriers Exemption
 •  Common Sales and Use Tax Exemptions and Requirements
 •  Michigan's Use Tax – Mail Order and Internet Purchases
QR code Home
PoliciesMichigan Survey

Copyright © 2014 State of Michigan