Principal Residence ExemptionWhat's New
A Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) exempts a residence from the tax levied by a local school district for school operating purposes up to 18 mills. Section 211.7cc and 211.7dd of the General Property Tax Act, Public Act 206 of 1893, as amended, addresses PRE claims. To qualify for a PRE, a person must be a Michigan resident who owns and occupies the property as a principal residence. The PRE is a separate program from the Homestead Property Tax Credit, which is filed annually with your Michigan Individual Income Tax Return.
- PRE Guidelines
- Conditional Rescission of PRE
- Active Duty Military Affidavit Information
- Appeal Process Regarding a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) Denial
- Section 211.7cc of the General Property Tax Act, PA 206 of 1893, as amended
- Section 211.7dd of the General Property Tax Act, PA 206 of 1893, as amended